Mar 18, 2009

Making of "F.I.S.H." maquette (tutorial) #2




So to continue what I had talked about the putty, this is what it looks like with the putty to keep the skeleton in place and sturdy enough. At this point, you want to cover all the joints and screws (base). However, make sure the putty arent too thick for the model since you might not have enough rooms to work on your sculpey.


Then I wrapped around with foil. The more foil you use, the less sculpey you use, but then make sure you have enough sculpey to cover all the foil. Keep in mind, if the piece is too thin, it might burn easily when you bake it.



Once I have the foil in place, I put sculpey over it as my first coat. This is just to get the general mass/overall shape of the model, which later you can carve it out using a finer tool.




I'm starting to shape the form more and more. Dont be afraid to push and pull your model if it doesn't get to the shape you want. I'm not saying you should repose your wire, because it'll be impossible at this point with the putty, so plan ahead and check with your drawing often. The push and pull is; however, for the sculpey part. Once you satisfy with the general mass, you can go over with finer tool for detail work and to smooth the surface a bit more.

2 comments:

Memashow said...

Wowwww...
It looks really cool!
Can wait to see the finished one.

^___^

Anonymous said...

Nice!
you've got to teach me this